NBA Trade Rumors: Houston Rockets ‘Close’ To Trading Omer Asik
- Onchie Ebriega
- Nov 18, 2013 03:11 PM EST
The Houston Rockets are likely to trade Omer Asik in the coming weeks, but one thing still not determined is the next destination of the Turkish big man, a reliable league source reported on Monday.
Only three weeks into the regular season and the Rockets are now searching for a trade partner that will help them unload Asik and get a solid compensation in return.
- NBA Trade Rumors: Boston Celtics Considering Sending Rajon Rondo To New York Knicks for Amare Stoudemire, Iman Shumpert, Says Report
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Primed To Steal Jacoby Ellsbury From Boston Red Sox
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios: Pacman’s Retirement Looming as Brandon Eyes KO of his Career
- 2013 Boxing News: Mikey Garcia Can Be Multi-Division World Champ Like Manny Pacquiao, says Alex Ariza
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios: Fight To Yield Highest Betting Wagers for Boxing Match in 2013
- NBA Trade Rumors: L.A Lakers Look To Trade Pau Gasol For Zach Randolph
- NBA Trade Rumors: Cavaliers, Kings Look To Pull Off Big Trade; Anderson Verajao, Isaiah Thomas Likely To Be Dealt
"In an effort to unload disgruntled center Omer Asik, the Houston Rockets have engaged in trade talks with multiple teams and are demanding an impact player in return," league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Asik, who averaged 5.0 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, has reportedly grown tired of playing second fiddle to All-Star big man Dwight Howard at the center position.
Prior to the start of the season, head coach Kevin McHale promised to try out his "Twin Tower" experiment by fielding both Howard and Asik at the same time on the floor.
At first, the Howard-Asik frontcourt looked imposing as both big men grabbed double-digits in rebounds in their first few games. However, opposing teams eventually figured out how to stop the duo from wrecking havoc in the interior.
With Howard racking up huge double-doubles again, the Rockets didn't find enough playing time for Asik. Frustrated about his current situation, the Turkish big man asked the Rockets management to trade him as soon as possible.
Potential Trade Partners
There are several potential trade partners for the Rockets involving Asik, the most viable of all these scenarios apparently is the swap between the Turk and New Orleans Pelicans forward Ryan Anderson.
Another potential trade being closely watched is the deal that will send Asik and point guard Jeremy Lin to the Boston Celtics in exchange for All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo, who's still rehabilitating from a torn ACL.
"Houston could enhance its championship credentials by adding Rondo to a lineup that includes Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons. In return, the Celtics may have interest in both the 7-foot Asik and Jeremy Lin, the point guard and Harvard graduate. McHale is now Houston's head coach and Rockets GM Daryl Morey started his career in the Celtics front office." New York Daily News stated.