NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Updates: Dallas Mavericks Eye Omer Asik for Shawn Marion Swap with Houston Rockets
- Paul John Rivera
- Dec 04, 2013 12:15 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks' championship window is slowly closing and they are also in danger of losing Dirk Nowitzki via free agency next summer, which could force their front office executives to make moves before the trade deadline.
- NBA Trade Rumors: DeMar DeRozan Tradable; Tired of Situation With Raptors
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: New York Knicks' Iman Shumpert Could Be Traded After Fighting Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO)
- NBA Trade Rumors: Philadelphia Sixers' Evan Turner Eyed By Multiple Teams
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Updates : L.A Lakers Could Make Deal With Houston Rockets For Omer Asik
- NBA Trade Rumors 2013 Update: Houston Rockets Could Trade Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin For Rajon Rondo; Price Too High, Says GM
- Los Angeles Lakers News and Rumors: How The Lakers Can Still Win NBA Titles With Kobe Bryant's New $48 Million Deal
While a blockbuster trade is highly unlikely due to the lack of attractive pieces, the Mavericks are expected to be one of the most aggressive teams before the trade deadline in hopes of acquiring players that could improve their chances of contending for the title this season.
ESPN Dallas noted:
"The 'Bank of Cuban' should be open for business again, but that doesn't mean the Mavs get any deals done. Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson wouldn't be doing their jobs if they don't aggressively explore opportunities to make the Mavs significantly better -- for this season and for the long haul -- before the trade deadline.
That's easier said than done, though. They have some chips, such as the expiring contracts of Shawn Marion and Carter, but remember that they're handcuffed when it comes to trading first-round picks because of the protected pick they owe Oklahoma City."
One of the possible trades that could be considered by the Mavericks is a swap involving Omer Asik of the Houston Rockets. There is a growing animosity between Rockets GM Daryl Morey and Mavs team owner Mark Cuban, but the two could mend their fences for the better of their respective teams.
Asik will definitely boost the lineup of the Mavericks, particularly on the defensive end of the floor. One possible trade scenario is a deal centered on Asik and Shawn Marion, who could be a good fit for the Rockets with his championship experience and his ability to stretch the floor for superstar center Dwight Howard.
However, the deal depends on the willingness of the Mavs to part ways with the versatile forward, who is considered as one of their vital cogs on both the offensive and defensive end of the floor.