NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Washington Wizards Might Trade Trevor Ariza For Bench Help
- Onchie Ebriega
- Dec 10, 2013 08:20 PM EST
The Washington Wizards are reportedly shopping veteran small forward Trevor Ariza for some bench production, a reliable league source disclosed this week.
With the Wizards steadily finding a winning formula, general manager Ernie Grunfeld is looking for key personnel that would further boost his team's chances of making the postseason for the first time since the 2007-08 season.
- After Derrick Rose Injury, Who Are 'Savior' Players on Chicago Bulls' Roster That Can Breakout This 2013-14 NBA Season?; Stats and Video Highlights
- NBA Trade Rumors: Miami Heat To Trade For Dwyane Wade’s Replacement; Udonis Haslem Could Be Traded
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Sacramento Kings Acquires Rudy Gay In Seven-Player Deal With Toronto Raptors
- NBA Trade Rumors: Omer Asik Moving Teams Soon; Sixers Favorite to Take Turkish Big Man
- NBA Trade Rumors 2013: NY Knicks' 41-Point Loss To Boston Celtics Fuels Carmelo Anthony Trade Talks
- Can Kobe Bryant Lead the Lakers to the NBA Title? Analyzing Bryant's Return Game Against Raptors By the Stats (Video)
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Carmelo Anthony Telling Rajon Rondo to Leave Celtics for New York Knicks, Reports Say
- Derrick Rose Return Update: Rose Eyeing May Comeback if Bulls Reach NBA Playoffs
- NBA Trade Rumors: Toronto Raptors Set Sight On Jimmer Fredette
- Jeremy Lin News: Lin Ranked Among Best Slashers in the NBA
- NBA Trade Rumors and News 2014: Top Five Players New York Knicks Should Target for NBA 2014 Trade Deadline
- NBA Draft 2014 News Update: Dante Exum, Australian Star, Could Be No.1 Overall Pick in Draft
- Why the Houston Rockets Can't Get Far in the NBA Playoffs Without Defense
- NBA Draft Prospect Jabari Parker Shines in NCAA While Kansas' Andrew Wiggins Struggling
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Dion Waiters Trade Could Be Shelved As Second-Year Guard Excels In Sixth-Man Role
- FIFA 14 and NBA 2K14 on Xbox One Punish Swearing During Game
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Updates: Dallas Mavericks Eye Omer Asik for Shawn Marion Swap with Houston Rockets
According to sources, the Wizards are trying to address their bench, which has not given them much-needed production despite the acquisition of 2013 third overall pick Otto Porter and veteran Al Harrington.
There are reports circulating the Wizards might be willing to shop Ariza, who's playing pretty well in his third season with the team. Ariza is currently averaging 16.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per game while shooting 46 percent from the field and 42 percent from the three-point line.
Discussing the Ariza Trade
Sports Illustrated Fansided reporter Ben Mehic provided a solid breakdown of the potential trade involving Ariza, detailing its impact on the team offensively and defensively.
"Even though Ariza has been a major contributor to Washington's success this season, I think it could be replaced once Bradley Beal and Martell Webster return from injury," the report stated.
"The Wizards had one of the most productive starting lineups in the league last season with Wall-Beal-Webster-Nene-Okafor on the floor, and I think it could be replicated this season when swapping Okafor for Gortat," Mehicadded.
Mehic also believed Ariza's departure will bode well for Porter in allowing him to finally get significant playing time on the floor as he tries to become an integral part of the team's current and future campaigns.
Looking For Trade Partners
As teams start to make moves on the trading floor, the Wizards won't have a hard time finding an ideal trade partner, especially for the heavy-producing Ariza.
One nice deal that could happen is the Wizards trading Ariza, Trevor Booker and Chris Singleton for Milwaukee Bucks veteran Luke Ridnour and Caron Butler.
Butler already had experience playing in the nation's capital and proved he can still contribute by averaging 13.2 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. However, Ridnour could be the steal of the trade because of his ability to run the offense with John Wall resting on the bench.
Of course, the Wizards-Bucks trade is only one of many possible trades that could happen in the next two months. With Ariza playing at a high level, the Wizards can sell him at a higher price.