Year in Review: 8 Most Talked About Celebrity Breakups in 2013
- Jessica Michele Herring
- Dec 13, 2013 03:58 PM EST
While there were some headline-making celebrity hookups this year, there were also many infamous couples also decided to call it quits. Some couples decided to split because of distance and busy work schedules, while others cited a relationship that lost its spark. While the public splits may have saddened fans, the frequency of Hollywood hook-ups and divorces is a persistent feature of celebrity life.
The eight most talked about celebrity breakups of 2013 are:
8. Rupert Murdoch and Wendi Deng- After being married for 14 years, the media magnate, 82, divorced from this third wife, who is 44, in June. Deng is receiving a generous divorce settlement.
7. Julianne Hough and Ryan Seacrest- Hough, 25, and Seacrest, 38, ended their two-year relationship because of busy schedules. Hough said that balancing a relationship and a career "is a hard thing to do, especially when you're so caught up in your work and bettering yourself."
6. Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr- The picturesque couple decided to split after being married for six years. The pair "split amicably," according to Bloom's rep. Bloom, 36, and Victoria's Secret Model Kerr, 30, started dating in 2007 and were married in 2010. They have a baby boy, Flynn, who was born in 2011.
5. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth- The young couple called off their engagement in September. The two split not long after Cyrus, 21, was seen without her engagement ring, and after reports that Hemsworth, 23, was seen flirting with other actresses.
4. George Clooney and Stacy Keibler- It was confirmed in July that Clooney, 52, and Keibler, 33, were calling it quits. Keibler reportedly wants to have children and a family, and Clooney has publicly stated that he does not want children. The pair dated for two years.
3. Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones- After 13 years of marriage, Douglas, 68, and Jones, 43, filed for divorce this year. The two decided to call it splitsville after Douglas returned from the Cannes Film Festival in May and Zeta-Jones left a treatment facility for her bipolar disorder. The strain of Douglas' throat cancer and Zeta-Jones' treatments are what reportedly led to the separation.
2. Josh Brolin and Diane Lane- The pair, who were introduced in 2002 by Brolin's stepmother, Barbra Streisand, were married in 2004. But after eight years of marriage, the the two announced their divorce in February. A rep for the couple said that the relationship "ran its course."
1. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart- Although there are always rumors that the "Twilight" stars still have feelings for each another, the couple split in May after Stewart engaged in an affair with her "Snow White and the Huntsman" director Rupert Sanders. Pattinson, 27, moved out of the home he shared with Stewart, 23, in May.