MLB Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Seattle Mariners Likely Destination For Matt Kemp
- Onchie Ebriega
- Dec 31, 2013 12:53 PM EST
The Seattle Mariners appear to be the frontrunner to get the services of Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, a reliable league source disclosed on Tuesday.
Already signing Robinson Cano to a lucrative deal, the Mariners have reportedly remained interested in trading for Kemp, who has been the subject of trade rumors for the past few months.
- Rafael Nadal News: Rafa Ready For War at Qatar Open; Claims No.1 Seed
- Manny Pacquiao Next Fight Update: Pacman to Begin Negotiations With Floyd Mayweather in January
- Boxing Experts: Manny Pacquiao is in Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Head
- NBA Trade Rumors: Milwaukee Bucks Willing To Trade Center Larry Sanders
- MLB Trade Rumors 2014: L.A. Dodgers To Trade Prospects For David Price
- NBA Trade Rumors: Pau Gasol for Brook Lopez Swap Explored by Los Angeles Lakers, Brooklyn Nets
- NBA Trade Rumors Update: Sacramento Kings Pushing Hard To Get Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic
The Mariners already inquired about the availability of the five-tool outfielder, but trade talks cooled down a bit after Seattle expressed their unwillingness to part ways with their top prospect Tijuana Walker in exchange for Kemp.
However, Boston Globe baseball writer Nick Cafardo believed the chances of Kemp being traded remain high because of the influx of outfielders in the Dodgers' roster, though a trade would likely happen during spring training.
"The Dodgers may still deal one of them before the start of the season. As teams see where Kemp's rehab is after shoulder and ankle surgeries, that could heat up in spring training," the insider stated.
"Ethier could also be in demand, but the Dodgers want to see what they have in Kemp before trading away their excess. Still, the Dodgers will be an intriguing trade partner for some team before all is said and done," he added.
Getting The Deal Done
According to Los Angeles Dodgers beat writer Jon Reuter of Bleacher Report, the Mariners can still get Kemp without giving away their best prospect.
The Mariners could package starting pitcher James Paxton, shorts stop Nick Franklin, third baseman Stefen Romero and reserve pitcher Tom Wilhelmsen to the Dodgers in exchange for Kemp and cash considerations.
Paxton went 3-0 with a 1.50 ERA and 0.917 WHIP in four starts while Franklin has become dispensable with Cano's arrival. The presence of Romero would also make the package enticing for the Dodgers, who are in deep need of big-league ready prospects.
Another trade scenario would be Craig Seager and middle to low-tier prospects going to the Dodgers for Kemp, though the Mariners are unlikely to trade him.
For more MLB Trade Rumors, read more at Latino Post Sports.