NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Pau Gasol For Andrew Bynum Trade Stalled, LA Lakers Wants Young Assets From Cleveland
The trade talks between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Cleveland Cavaliers about a potential trade involving Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum are no longer progressing.
ESPN reported that the Gasol-for-Bynum trade talks have stalled.The Cavaliers have until January 7 to trade or waive Bynum before the other half of his $12.25 million salary this season becomes guaranteed.
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Kyrie Irving's Knee Injury Could Affect Pau Gasol-For-Andrew Bynum Swap
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Deron Williams Doesn't Think Paul Pierce for Zach Randolph, Brook Lopez for Pau Gasol Trade Will Happen
- NBA Free Agents 2014 Rumors: Ex-Teammate Believes Carmelo Anthony Will Leave New York Knicks; Has Bulls, Clippers, Lakers On Short List
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014: Best NBA Players to Steal Before 2014 NBA Trade Deadline
- NBA Trade Rumors: Minnesota Timberwolves Could Sacrifice Nikola Pekovic For Omer Asik in Three-Team Trade
- Are Jeremy Lin, Other Top NBA Players Affected by 2014 NBA Trade Rumors? Analyzing the Video & Stats
- NBA 2K14 News: Game Continues Bug Problems and Broken Online Codes After Release Date
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Chicago Bulls Not Interested In Luol Deng-For-Andrew Bynum Trade With Cleveland
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014: Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik Could Be Moved in Blockbuster Three-Team Trade For Chicago Bulls' Luol Deng
- NBA Trade News: L.A. Lakers Look to Create Cap Space for Kevin Durant in 2016
- WWE News and Rumors: Could NBA's LeBron James Wrestle at WrestleMania 30 in 2014? Picking Six Top WWE Superstars Miami Heat Star Could Face
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 : Toronto Raptors Could Trade Terrence Ross To Orlando Magic For Arron Afflalo; Kyle Lowry To Thunder, Heat?
- Is Jeremy Lin Worthy of Making the 2014 NBA All-Star Game? Breaking Down Stats, Video, Social Media Reaction
- NBA Trade Rumors 2014 Update: Andrew Bynum Still On Trading Block; LA Clippers, Miami Heat Express Interest
Sources said that the talks stopped progressing after the Lakers remained firm on their stance of acquiring another player aside from the team-friendly contract of Bynum, which could save the Lakers around $20 million in salary and taxes this season.
The Cavaliers actually need to add another player to make the trade work since Gasol is earning $19.3 million this season, $7 million higher than Bynum's salary this season.
Reports suggested that the Lakers are asking for a young prospect or a future first-round pick in the deal, but the Cavaliers are not willing to give in to the Lakers' demands. The Cavaliers are reportedly calling almost all teams to determine if they have other options aside from the Lakers' proposal.
The trade value of Bynum will diminish when his contract becomes fully-guaranteed on Tuesday, but the Cavaliers could wait for the offseason to gauge interest in Bynum, whose contract next season is fully nonguaranteed.
On the other hand, the Lakers are expected to receive calls from other teams, who are interested in acquiring Gasol, playing in the final year of his contract.
When asked about the recent trade rumors surrounding him, Gasol said that he is already used to dealing with it after being part of several trade rumors in the past few seasons.
"I'm more accustomed to them and I deal with them better than I did at first, when it started," Gasol said. "But it's just a reality, and I just got to stay cool and keep my mind on the game as much as I can."
But while he is ready for any eventuality before the trade deadline, Gasol said that he wants to remain in Los Angeles.
"It's my home, it's my team," Gasol said. "It's the team that I've been through so much with, and I'm not the type of guy that likes to jump ship because everything is not going right right now. So, I'm a loyal guy. I'd like to continue to be here and fight with the guys that are here."